Saturday, February 6, 2010

To E or not to E...

So, I recently found out (maybe erroneously), that having a lower back tattoo (which I have), may impede the ability to receive an epidural during labor. I do not know for a fact if this is true, and my doctor will take a gander at the location of my tattoo next time I see her, but it's definitely a strange (and terrifying) thought.

I have always thought I would have an epidural as a matter of course. I have never understood these women who want to give birth "naturally". As far as I can see, there is not much that is natural about this whole process. At least for me.

However now faced with the remote possibility that I will be forbidden to take any course of action but the "natural" one is definitely something intriguing. What the X factor in all of this is that nobody can really project what kind of birth it will be? Will I be one of those women who can just pop out a baby in a few hours (I somehow doubt that), or a woman who goes into labor for 30 hours? My mother was in labor for a long time, however I am not sure if that is any real indicator for me (and our pregnancies are very different). Could I do it naturally? The fact is, I have no idea. That said, when I have a headache I take medication. When I have a cold, I take medication. I don't like feeling pain if I don't have to. Who does?

The only thing I am thinking about in this situation is that when you give birth naturally you have more pain blocking endorphin things that happen. And you heal quicker...That's what I have read anyway.

Again, the whole thing just seems so odd and scary and troubling. I know everyone does it. I know it's going to happen whether I like it or not. It's just weird!

I just ate some butter and honey on a fresh roll and I can feel him move about a little. It's kind of cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment