Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hebrew 101

Today I started an intensive Hebrew language course. The reasons for this are: (a) I will not feel like I am stupid when at a supermarket and will be able to participate in conversations at the dinner table (not my own dinner table that is); (b) I can show my boyfriend that I am genuinely making an effort to assimilate; (c) That I am genuinely desiring to assimilate; and (d) for the benefit of my unborn child. And it is (d) I wish to speak about now.

It is still surreal for me to imagine that one day I will have a son and that son will speak Hebrew (and English). It means that no matter how much I really learn, my son will still have his secret (sod in Hebrew. I learned that today) jokes and conversations with his father. I will be the foreign outsider. It also means that my son will most likely take longer to speak than other kids here as he will be bilingual. But the important thing is, I want to be able to understand him. Help him with his homework. Listen to him play with his friends and understand when they ask me for food.

Still, being pregnant and being in a five day intensive (8am to 1pm) language course is no picnic. Firstly, I was seated by the door so that I could get up to use the bathroom more easily. However, that meant that I was the first woman in my row and therefore the first to be asked how to say something in Hebrew. Not a good situation when my pregnant foggy head was trying to stay awake. At the same time mystified by the constant belly moves my little one is making inside me. I was almost self conscious. You just had to glance over in my direction and if you noticed for one second you could probably see the little ripples of movement. Or maybe I am just feeling it on the inside so intensely it feels like my whole body is gurgling away.

Mostly though it was fun. Finally I am actually learning how to speak the language of this country. It felt empowering, despite the overwhelming fatigue.

Yesterday I was lying in bed in the morning and I saw and felt a foot sticking out. I am pretty sure that's what it was and I was so touched by it I pressed too hard (eager to feel its outline), and it vanished into the murky depths of amniotic fluid. Very cute. A Hebrew foot.

Lila tov yeled. Good night child. Yeah, well, I only learned things phonetically today.

No comments:

Post a Comment