Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Hamburgers/Cravings and food

Last night I had a craving for a hamburger...

I was raised a vegetarian for the most part and generally only eat fish and occasionally chicken, however pregnancy changed this...

Last night: I order a sandwich type thing from a place called "Eat Meat" (a bizarre place to go for someone formerly a vegetarian). I can't actually look at the meat, but just know that it will be disguised in this sandwich (true to Israeli style with amazing condiments and sauces). I catch a glimpse of the pink meat and feel a little nauseous. I turn away until the sandwich is safely put in the take out box. Once home, I eat really quickly. My excuse is I need iron. Yup. That's it.

The other day I read that the baby is now starting to taste what I eat via the amniotic fluid. I find this entertaining. Just before I have my strawberry smoothie I can imagine the baby swimming in a strawberry flavored stew. And now, he gets a warm dose of hamburger flavor. I also read that how you eat now can affect his taste later? I am not sure if this is true or not, but I like the idea of having an affect on this taste buds at such an early age. At this point, I know he will love, strawberries, toast with vegemite, avocado, eggs, cheese and the occasional hamburger. Oh, and he will love sushi (but maybe the vegetarian kind since I cannot eat raw fish).

My relationship to food fascinates me during this time. At the beginning it took on a manic quality. Some items were passionately disgusting and others just bland. I never had any specific aversions just a general haze of dislike. And, the more carbohydrates a food item contained, the better. I should have guessed something was a little odd when in New York (newly pregnant but undiscovered), I had a sudden craving for fried chicken, which until that time I had NEVER eaten. In the space of two weeks I may have eaten it at least three times.

More disconcerting was the anxious feelings I would get when I was hungry and didn't have anything immediate to eat. It was an awful feeling. I felt so out of control. Sometimes we would be in the car and I would have to get my boyfriend to stop- anywhere- to find something. When my mother visited she was upset by this and she had never seen anything like it. I had to eat when I had to eat. It was a really difficult time.

After years of eating consciously and well I was just eating anything with bread and cheese I could get my hands on. I felt out of control.

Now, things have calmed down a little with the eating, however the hamburger craving haunts me from time to time. My boyfriend likes it when I eat meat as he loves meat and wants this baby to love it also. However, I cannot cook meat and usually only find it palatable when it is disguised as something that doesn't look like meat. I will have to find a way to deal with this as I want the child to eat meat, but for now I am turning the other cheek.

Until then, he will have to enjoy being in a warm bath of hamburger fluid. Yum.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, babies actually develop a taste for those things their mothers ate while pregnant. But it's questioable as to what comes first, the chicken or the egg. So is the craving baby sent or mommy made? We do not know. Thomas Verney, MD performed studies in the 1970's that showed that much of what babies experience prior to birth, influences who they become and what their preferences are after birth. Very interesting...

    ReplyDelete