Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sushi encounter

Last night my boyfriend and I went to an "all-you-can-eat" sushi (a pregnant woman's dream minus the fact I can't eat raw fish). The place was a bar and we sat around the counter and I endured the "vegetarian" sushi coming my way. At some point a pretty blond girl came and sat next to us and I quickly realized she was an English speaker. Another beer later (for my boyfriend), she started talking to me and asked where I was from etc etc. She was English and not Jewish, however decided to come to Israel as she "just loves it here". In any event, she told us she was a nanny and then offered her services to us as she mimed patting my belly.

It was strange.

All my life I was that girl. Especially when traveling, I would gain employment as a babysitter and as a nanny all my life (once a live-in nanny in San Francisco). Now, someone was offering their services to me! It was a turning point in my life. And not all good. Instantly I felt old. Oh, I am a mother now and this girl/woman sees me as a "mother" (well, mother-to-be). It was just so surreal and confronting. Why couldn't I embrace this?

As we were walking home I told my boyfriend about my reaction and he was like, well, you are older than her and you are a mother in a minute. It was truly a moment of confrontation and acceptance for me. Am I really one of those women I used to work for? I will engage someone at some stage (I hope), to help me look after my boy. She will walk in full of her own life and hope for the future and form some kind of sweet relationship with my son. I will be half apologetic (guilty for leaving) and concerned but grateful she will be there.

How things change.

Life is full of surprises.

2 comments:

  1. But didn't you yearn to be "the mom" one day, if secretly? It's gonna be wonderful, Gabby! (did not know you used to be nanny. learning so much here...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are the gabby chats i miss having.
    sarah x

    ReplyDelete