Sunday, March 14, 2010

Dimensions

So. 25 weeks. More than half way there. It feels like forever...

Last week we had a 3D scan taken of the little thing. It was weird. They gave us a DVD and you can see him yawning and stretching his mouth and the doctor said he had his hand around the umbilical cord. It was odd. He didn't look so pretty. He kind of looked strange. He looked a little like my boyfriend (who does not look strange), but otherwise alien. Not alien in the sense that he was not human, but alien in the sense that he didn't look connected to me in any way. I had always assumed that somehow he would look like me. Or at least be an even facsimile of both my and my boyfriend's features. However looking at him in there, he looked like someone I had never seen before. Yes, I probably sound a little naive in this case. I know he is his own person. Yet, the images seem wrong somehow. Like we are not supposed to see babies inside the womb. It is unnatural.

In any event, the later surprise was twofold. Firstly, I swear, that baby is well-endowed (my boyfriend was proud to see). It was quite a shock seeing the scan and I had to ask my boyfriend if he thought it was possible a fetus could have an erection in the womb?! So unequivocally MALE. The second surprise was that apparently my baby measures two weeks larger than his due date. Which means a a few things potentially however all it initially meant was that I burst into tears in a panic.

After we calmed down we realized (after talking to our doctor), that measuring two weeks larger does not have to mean much at this stage and it does not mean I will have a big baby or he will come early (or it could mean both). However, right now there is no need for any alarm and he could even out and in any event, the measuring technology is imprecise.

It's all so tenuous this process. Now, I am worrying as I seem to feel faint and light headed after I eat. Medical results say nothing is wrong, but it feels wrong to me...

In the hands of fate...

1 comment:

  1. you're worried you're gonna have a gemini, aren't you?!

    ReplyDelete